How to Write a Process Essay Step by step Guide
The process essay, also known as the “how-to” essay, is commonly written for people or companies that need tutorials or a set of instructional steps. Whether it’s building a robot or cooking a chocolate cake, process essays use a similar format for any variations. They follow a step-by-step style, with the initial step influencing the second, which influences the third, and so on. Each step carries its own importance, and a poor explanation of one step can ruin the entire process. It’s important to stay concise and efficient. However, before you begin writing your essay, you should do some small preparations. Let’s discover them with our ‘admission essay writing service‘.
What Is a Process Paper?
A process essay is a type of essay that explains a process step by step and gives guidance for a certain process, working mechanism, procedure, etc. Process essays range from very simple ones, such as instructions for how to ride a bicycle, to more complex ones, such as a chemistry lab report of an oxidative reaction experiment. The goal of a process paper is to give its readers guidance and directions.
A process paper is characterized, first of all, by explaining a process using a description. Some words that are frequently used in process essays are “further”, “then”, “next”, “first”, “last”, “finally”, and “initially”. It is really important to remember that every process essay includes features, such as:
Need assignment help for this question?
If you need assistance with writing your essay, we are ready to help you!
Why Choose Us: Cost-efficiency, Plagiarism free, Money Back Guarantee, On-time Delivery, Total Сonfidentiality, 24/7 Support, 100% originality
- clear and straightforward narration – the last thing you want to do is to confuse your reader with complex language and an unorganized thought thread;
- chronological order – avoid skipping steps and shifting them around, as it will result in misunderstanding and frustration for the readers;
- transition words – make sure to separate the next step from the previous ones by using transition words;
- descriptions of the steps – make sure your steps are clear and easy to follow.
There are several types of process essays. The first one is directional – it explains the “how to” for something. It can take on a wide range of subjects, such as how to apply for a credit card, how to get your driver’s license, how to plan a wedding, etc. The outcome of the directional essay should be a result. In the cases of the examples above: a credit card, a driver’s license, or a carefully planned wedding. The other type of process paper is informational – it explains how something works. Here are some examples: how a weather forecast is determined, how a space rocket works, how intermittent fasting changes your body, etc. An informational essay explains something to a reader and does not necessarily end up with a result, like directional does.
Another type of essay that is similar to a process essay is a process analysis essay. The biggest difference is that a process analysis essay not only explains the steps, but also analyses them in depth. It has all of the characteristics of a process essay, although goes into more detail about the causes and consequences of every step with cheap writing service.
How to Write a Process Essay
Writing a process essay is not extremely difficult. By following simple rules and a set of steps, a successful, well-structured essay can be guaranteed.
Prepare The Small Stuff
Here we gathered some small general tips and advice that you should follow throughout your writing process to make sure that all of the expectations of a process paper are met.
- Determine the Audience’s Skill Level. It’s important to base the level of complexity of the essay on who the readers will be. For example, if you need to teach a friend how to do a simple fix or create a certain tool, then it would be most reasonable to stick to more basic terminology. However, if you are writing an essay for your astrophysics professor about the creation of a black hole in the universe, use more sophisticated and informative terminology.
- Make a List of Materials. Obviously, the creation of anything comes with some prerequisites. Whether it’s items or ideas, the importance of knowing the necessities beforehand and having them ready to go is essential. Make sure to place each item in accordance with its importance. The more impactful a part is, the higher up on the list it should be.
- Write out Each Task. In a step-by-step tutorial, each individual task carries some sort of weight. Since an entire process can not be complete if a step is skipped, it’s crucial to write out every single step. However, don’t go overboard in your explanations. It’s not necessary to bring the tutorial to a microscopic level, but each step should be understandable and competent.
Process Essay Topics
Choosing a topic for a process paper can be quite challenging. A good place to start is with your passions. If you pick something you are excited about, you can make it interesting for your readers and fun for yourself to write about. If your professor limits you to write a process essay on something you have very little knowledge of, choose a topic that is intriguing and triggers your interest. Then, conduct enough thorough research to make sure you understand everything perfectly before you go ahead and try to explain it to someone else.
Another very important thing to consider while writing a process essay is your audience. It is highly unlikely that college students are interested in instructions for “How to Get Into Your Dream School” or “How to Pass Your SATs”. Make sure your topic relates to the subject you are studying and you are following your professor’s prompt guidelines.
Here are some ideas that might be of interest for you:
- How to lose weight on a keto diet
- How your immune system fights COVID-19
- How to start selling on Amazon
- How to improve your credit score
- How to decrease your social media usage
- How to apply for unemployment insurance
- How to improve your college performance
- How to open your first bank account
It’s important to note that these essay topics are just some common examples used by several college students for their course papers. Feel free to use any one of them if you want, or think of one on your own. Just make sure it’s a PROCESS!
Process Essay Outline
Most essay outlines follow the standard scheme: Intro > Body Paragraphs > Conclusion. follow the standard scheme: Intro > Body Paragraphs > Conclusion. A good process essay outline should look like this:
- Introduction — brief your reader on your topic, explain why you have chosen it and how you are planning to approach the explanation of the process.
- Body — the biggest part of your essay that should be divided into paragraphs for easier understanding and structure. Make sure each paragraph is flowing smoothly into the next one with connective words.
Paragraph 1. First step of the process. Explain what the step is, what the best way to perform it is, and how to avoid common mistakes when doing it.
Paragraph 2. The next step of the process (the same as in Paragraph 1). Thoroughly explain what this step is about.
- Conclusion. Here you need to explain why your instructions are valuable. It is your opportunity to persuade your reader(s) that the steps you presented and the process they learned will be useful for them in the future.
Every process is different: some can take a couple of minutes, while others can take months or years to complete. The length of the essay is generally based on the difficulty and number of steps it takes. However, the structure doesn’t maneuver.
The first thing that you want to do as a writer for your process paper is to help your readers be interested in your individual process. Be descriptive about it, paint a picture for your readers. A joke or a personal reference can be a great attention grabber and can pull your reader right in. For somebody to be keen on approaching your process, they have to express interest in it. Though, it generally goes without saying that many writers ignore this fact. Let’s break it down into subsections:
- Give a little bit of historical background. People often want to know the origins of whatever it is that they’re working on. Introducing this part of the process helps to intrigue your readers, as well as give them a sense of purpose for the task.
- Create an approximate timeframe. Unfortunately, your readers don’t have all day to spend on this one event. In addition to learning about its purpose, people want to know how long the task will take. This way, they can decide how to break up the work. If it’s a quick fix, then they can knock it out in one session. However, if it’s a large-scale operation, then your readers will obviously have to create their own time schedule.
After going through every step meticulously and explaining the whole process, a process essay needs a confident conclusion. This paragraph should be short, sweet, and to the point. It’s main goal is to accomplish the following tasks:
- Discuss the main result. After the readers have completed the process, they should be left with a final result. It’s important that you explain to your readers what the end result will look like, and what can be done with it.
- Restate the process’s general purpose. After completing the task, you obviously would like to know its overall purpose. When your readers feel that they have accomplished a challenge, learned something from it, and have a path to take the result towards, they will be satisfied!
- State your Overall Conclusion. To put a pretty tie around your process essay means that you need to neatly wrap things up! Restate some of the highlightable points as well as the process’s key overall purpose. Make sure that your readers feel accomplished after going through your process, and ensure that you strengthen the necessity of its purpose with a nice concluding sentence!