Mental Illness and the Impact on Society
For this week’s Discussion, you are to discuss the effects mental illness has on society. To help you prepare with the Assignment, review any of the supplemental sources:
Need assignment help for this question?
If you need assistance with writing your essay, we are ready to help you!
Why Choose Us: Cost-efficiency, Plagiarism free, Money Back Guarantee, On-time Delivery, Total Сonfidentiality, 24/7 Support, 100% originality
- Lockey, C. J. (2013, February 9). To treat mental illness, we need a more reasonable civil commitment law: Guest opinion. Oregon Live. Retrieved from http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2013/02/to_treat_mental_illness_we_nee.html
- Editors. (2012, February 23). The neglect of mental illness exacts a huge toll, human and economic. Scientific American. Retrieved from https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-neglect-of-mental-illness/
- PBS. (2005). Frontline: The new asylums. Retrieved from http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/asylums/view/
Next, locate one credible source from the Library or the internet about the prevalence of mental illness in the U.S. and the effects it has on society (e.g., criminal behavior, alcohol or drug abuse, negatively impact interpersonal relationships, or homelessness). Use this information to write a letter to your congressperson (without the intention of sending it) to explain the following:
- The magnitude of the problem of mental illness.
- What is being done to improve the situation (such as your state’s programs or organizations).
- How the problem affects a society.
- What steps you believe should be taken to combat the problem and reduce the prevalence of mental illness or the specific problem you chose.
Please read the following chapters from your text:
Chapters 12: “Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders”
Chapter 14: “Mental Health Services: Legal and Ethical Issue
Durand, V.M; & Barlow, D. H. Essentials of Abnormal Psychology