Post Discussion: NCAA Enforcement Case Penalty Application
In 2011, the NCAA Division I Committee on Infraction issued its decision in the University of Tennessee-Knoxville enforcement case involving the men’s basketball and football programs. The committee determined the following:
Need assignment help for this question?
If you need assistance with writing your essay, we are ready to help you!
Why Choose Us: Cost-efficiency, Plagiarism free, Money Back Guarantee, On-time Delivery, Total Сonfidentiality, 24/7 Support, 100% originality
- The University of Tennessee failed to monitor its men’s basketball program.
- Former head men’s basketball coach Bruce Pearl failed to monitor his program.
- Pearl engaged in unethical conduct for providing “false and misleading information” and asking others to do the same.
- Three former assistant men’s basketball coaches failed to cooperate with the investigation.
However, the committee concluded the evidence involving the football program was insufficient to support the findings of major violations in the football program. As a result of the findings, the committee issued a two-year probation against the institution, a show-cause order for Pearl (which prohibits him from engaging in recruiting activity for three years at any NCAA member school) and a one-year show cause order for the three former assistant men’s basketball coaches.
In 2013, the NCAA adopted a new Division I enforcement process designed to eliminate the “risk/reward” analysis NCAA members believed some people were conducting as they weighed the consequences of violating bylaws. The new enforcement process was expected to enhance penalties for institutions and individuals found to have violated NCAA legislation.
Please review the 2011 University of Tennessee Infractions Report, which was processed under the old system, and develop an initial response of about 150 words that addresses the following issues as if the case were now being decided under the new Division 1 enforcement process:
- Apply Penalty Level for the University of Tennessee and Coach Pearl
- Determine Aggravating and Mitigating Factors for the University of Tennessee and Coach Pearl
- Apply Core Penalties Based on Penalty Matrix (See Bylaw 19) for University of Tennessee and Coach Pearl
Support your statements with evidence from the required studies and your research. Cite and reference your sources in APA style.
University of Tennessee Public Infractions Report (NCAA, 2011). Retrieved from http://www.ncaa.com/content/university-tennesee-public-infractions-report